Search This Blog

Friday, August 30, 2013

mommer and diddy

"Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged; parents are the pride of their children."
Proverbs 17:6
 
 
Last night my parents attended the USCvsNC football game in Williams Brice. I texted to be sure they were safe in that lightning and they replied, "Girl, we are in our hotel in the bed!" A picture was attached of my parents snuggled up and grinning like they didn't have sense. I don't know why, but I couldn't stop looking at it. It's funny how life does that to you sometimes. You have a moment and something allows you to see an entire lifetime all at once: a picture, a song, a smell...and tears are flowing before you can fully grasp it all coming in.
 
I could see their whole life in that sweet picture. And I couldn't help but think, they've done it.
well, they've almost done it--they have finished strong. Now my goodness, I hope they live another 50 years, but I am old enough to realize how short this life is. And I cherish my parents. I hope y'all aren't tired of hearing about it.
 
so, i'll try to be obsure, i'll try not to tell too much, but when i prayed this morning, i wrote a short letter to those two birds. about the 35 years that i saw in that picture...
 
 
stan and gail,
 
     Mid-50s. Practically a lifetime lived together. My initial thoughts were all that has been difficult...the hurtful words said in anger, the heartache endured. the same as any family. first precious years.
early 20s. a baby. your baby. terminally ill. for years. i can't imagine the strain that put on your marriage now that i have a marriage of my own. raising two little girls. now that i share two little girls. whew.
30s. a heart attack. angioplasty. crazy nights at the dinner table. laughter... spankings. many well-deserved spankings. "the talk" before the spankings. defiance. disreguard. dirsrespect. disobedience. which brings me to the teenage years. teenage girls. i'll say it again: whew. tears. fits. living room theatrics. slamming doors. oh, the drama of it all. a car accident. boys. dates. proms. and then probably the most difficult years of all.
40s. college. hurt. open heart surgery. twice. unfortunately, i could go on and on about the pain we've endured, as i am sure many other families have, too. but i applaud you. you've stayed. together.
 
and i know why. because you have taught us why. over and over again.
 
"He that is in us, is greater than He that is in the world."
"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
"I discipline you becuase I love you, because in His own way, in tougher ways, God disciplines me and He will discipline you."
"We forgive each other, as many times as we have to, because He forgives us." 
and so much more.
 
so that verse up at the top is right, i am proud. PROUD OF YOU. so, don't let me down now. finish all the way strong. together with Him and with each other. i know you will and i know that your greatest years are only ahead of you.
 
love,
your very healthy, God-fearing, big baby girl  

No comments: